Sunday 21 February 2016

The Weekly Round #11: feeling ill & re-reading Me Before You


Sorry for the radio silence for the past week folks. I've been stuck in bed since Tuesday with the flu. I'm feeling a bit better but not quite 100% yet. I'm still coughing a lot but I'm getting there. I haven't done much this week because I've been so poorly, all I've done really is curl up in a ball, moan pathetically, drink way more lemsip than advisable and surf youtube. That's literally been my week.

I did get the chance to read Me Before You, which is something I've wanted to do for a while. I first read it a few years back and I absolutely loved it but after the release of the film trailer, which looks amazing by the way, watch it here, and the release of the second book, After You, I thought it was about time I re-read it. And it was even better than I remembered. I cried for like 2 hours after finishing it because it is so heartbreakingly sad. If you haven't read it you definitely need to change that, but for those of you who don't know Me Before You is about Louisa Clark, who after losing her job in a cafe, takes a job as a companion for the quadriplegic Will Traynor. Before his accident Will was a thrill seeker and a daredevil but is now confined to his wheelchair with only the limited use of his hand and a plan to end it all. Neither of them are aware of the profound impact they're going to have on each other.

It raises a lot of really important questions about a person's right to die and highlights the difference between what is legally right and what is morally right. On top of that it is a fabulously written, beautiful, funny, heartbreaking and bitter sweet story about love. Sorry I'll put my English Literature nerd back in her box now and just tell you that it's amazing and definitely worth a read before the film comes out in June. But make sure you have a box of tissues nearby.

What have you been up to this week? Have you read Me Before You? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below, on twitter, or dropping me an email at lolarocknroses@gmail.com. Also check out my instagramfacebookbloglovin', snapchat - search lolarocknroses - & pinterest for regular updates.

Love love love xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins