Wednesday 14 October 2020

Not Sleeping? These Aromatherapy Products Might Help




I mentioned in my September Goal's that I'm really not sleeping well at the moment. I'm struggling to drift off, I'm struggling to stay asleep, I'm struggling to wake up. It's becoming a real thing. 


I've always been a problem sleeper. When I was eight I became so scared of the dark that I'd force myself to stay awake by reading all night. I was trying to distract myself from the monster in the hallway that was definitely coming to get me. I didn't get a good night's sleep for more than two years. True story. 


In my first year of uni I got so stressed that I basically stopped sleeping. I was getting only one or two hours of unbroken sleep a night. I could fall asleep but I couldn't stay asleep, so I'd find myself wild eyed and wide awake at four in the morning. Same thing happened during both my finals weeks - WORST timing ever. When I'm stressed, worried, anxious or basically any time something is slightly off I immediately stop sleeping. And I hate it. Because while I might not be good at sleep I am a big fan of it. 


Now I'm no sleep expert, although I do know one, but I do know you can't force it. The minute you tell yourself you're never going to sleep it is GAME OVER my friends. You might as well put Netflix back on because you ain't getting any sleep tonight. In my experience the best thing to do when you're not sleeping is to create a relaxing environment for yourself that will help you drift off. I'm talking lovely warm showers, steaming mugs of herbal tea, a good but not too interesting book and absolutely NO SCREENS. 


Here's some of the aromatherapy products I reach for when I can't sleep.  


Elemis Life Elixirs Sleep Bath & Shower Elixir* - I'm not a bath person, at all, but there's nothing I love more than a hot shower at the end of a long day to help me decompress. And shower oils just heighten the experience. This offering from Elemis is my favourite. Designed to aid relaxation and nourish the skin, the Sleep Elixir contains 13 essential oils, including patchouli and palamarosa to aid relaxation, while amaranth and bacuri oil condition the skin. It promises a restored body and mind, which is a bold claim let's be honest, but it has a nice texture - light and non-greasy - and it smells lovely. 


I tend to apply a capful to my chest and shoulders before I shower and it makes me feel so relaxed. Annoyingly, Elemis seem to have discontinued it - it's available here - as a shower oil, the roller ball is still available here, but any shower oil, preferably one with lavender in, will do. 


I'm also a HUGE fan of the Aromatherapy Associates shower oils, particularly Support Breathe, which has notes of eucalyptus, pine and tea tree to soothe and support. It smells incredible and is excellent if you have a cold. While Deep Relax, another favourite, is formulated with camomile, sandalwood and vetivert to promote deeper and more restful sleep. They are pretty expensive but I definitely think they're worth it. 


Lush Sleepy Body Lotion - When it first launched in 2018, the Lush Sleepy Body Lotion was an immediate hit. Promising a good night's sleep, thanks to a high-concentration of lavender, Sleepy just seemed to work. Formulated with lavender water, lavender flower infusion, lavender oil, oat milk, almond oil and tonca absolute to name but a few, Sleepy is designed to 'soothe, comfort and relax' to encourage sleep. 


According to sleep expert Richard Jolie, lavender's calming scent  helps reduce stress levels, which helps people to relax enough to get more and better quality sleep. And in my experience that's exactly what it does. It also smells incredible, like lavender sugar cookies... are those a thing? And has a thick, yogurt-like texture that feels really luxurious when rubbed into the skin. It's really lovely. 


This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray - Now I don't know if I buy into pillow sprays, I think there's definitely a placebo affect in place. However, there is something very lovely about the ritual of a pillow spray. For me, it sends a signal that I'm taking care of myself and I deserve a good night's sleep.


Deep Sleep has long been a firm favourite in the beauty community, it's even available as a handy dandy roller ball.  Claiming to help you fall asleep faster, it contains lavender, camomile and vetivert and is designed to have a calming effect on both the body and mind. It's also made from 99 per cent naturally derived ingredients and is vegan and cruelty-free, which is a big plus for me. The only downside is that it's fairly spenny for what it is, I've found that Avon's Planet Spa Aromatherapy Beauty Sleep Pillow Mist is a nice, cheap alternative. 


Elemis Quiet Mind Temple Balm* - is another one of my go to's when I can't get my mind to settle. I just apply it to my pulse points, temples and just above my top lip and let the blend of eucalyptus and patchouli soothe my frazzled brain. Annoyingly, it also seems to be discontinued! (Dude, why?!)  But Champneys offers a similar and cheaper alternative here, which is formulated with lavender, geranium and chamomile extract to promote calm and aid relaxation. 

What do you do when you can't sleep? 





 

14 comments:

  1. Nice information for me. it is really helpful post. get one of the best Aromatherapy Products Online Queensland then visit on our website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good information. I would like your article. Keep share more articles and pass information. get one of the best Natural Health Products in Queensland then visit on our website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's one that tossed me when I was exploring for this article. We as a whole recall as children that going through the day playing outside consistently assisted us with getting a decent's night sleep. Never truly liked the science behind it, till now.
    silk bed sheets queen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everybody encounters a sleeping disorder in an unexpected way, and the indications of this sleep problem range from gentle to genuinely genuine, contingent upon how long it endures. The absolute most normal manifestations include: https://opbergboxspring.online

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allow me to rehash that, 50-70% of your development chemical is emitted during sleep. Silk Beddings

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think we really want to go over the adverse consequences of an absence of sleep, we've all been there and we as a whole are very much aware of it. Only one terrible night's sleep can make the following day fell like a long and horrid laborer, with consistently passing leisurely and each undertaking an errand. Silk bed sheets

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impaired intellectual cycles... are one more outcome of an absence of rest. For instance, rest is urgent in giving your mind space in which to figure out and combine your encounters and recollections of the day. Silk bed sheets

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be a magnificent everyday practice to duplicate for yourself. The benefits of doing these sorts of things consistently, simultaneously are twofold: Silk bedding

    ReplyDelete
  10. The way that sleep is baffling is in itself strange thinking about that you spend around 33% of your concise presence here on this planet in an in-between state land. silk pajamas for men

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
    roll on bottles for essential oils

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sleep has assumed a lower priority in relation to all the other things and it should be given the regard it merits. weblink

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best SEO Rankings is an experienced online marketing firm that offers affordable and highly effective search engine optimization suspensions. We are positive that we are the best SEO company. Visit Best SEO Services to learn how we can help your site to rank on page one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finding a reliable SEO company for your business purpose is not difficult, but link building is not so easy. You need to go for best digital marketing book on certain parameters. Not every SEO company is the same. When choosing an SEO company to promote your web business, you need to do detailed research. They are the ones that will be largely done for the success of your plan for ranking.

    ReplyDelete

Latest pins