Sunday 4 September 2016

August Favourites 2016




This month I will not be freaking out that there are only 3 months left of 2016, what would be the point? I do the weird freak out thing every month, it's getting kind of old. Instead I'll tell you that August has been a really good month. I've been learning to play guitar, which I am loving! I saw my friends a lot, I went to Bulgaria, which was so fun and I've been going to the gym regularly, which, shockingly, I don't hate... I'm just as surprised as you are. It's been a really good month! On that note it's time to talk favourites. 

Nails Inc Gel Effect Polish in Soho Place - £14 from Nails Inc

This nail polish is an old favourite of mine, you guys know how much I love a good blue-y green polish, and like I said this is a firm favourite. I actually used it to paint my toes and tips with before I jetted off to Sunny Beach. The colour is gorgeous, a vivid aqua, and the formula is pretty lush too! Easily workable yet creamy and thick and the finish is dreamy - ultra glossy, plump and long lasting. It's marvellous. 


Pixi by Petra Hydrating Milky Mist - £18.00 from Cultbeauty

I ranted and raved about this stuff in my In Flight Beauty post so I won't bore you with the details for fear of repeating myself and boring you all to death. Instead I'm just gonna say that this super moisturising, light weight spritz is amazing, and an absolute life saver for those of us with drier complexions or to use when your travelling. I used it pretty much constantly on the flights, to and from Bulgaria, and the whole time while I was out there, and the difference it has made to my skin is amazing. I love this stuff, and I've nearly run out.... NOOOOOOO!

MAC Burgundy Times Nine Palette - £25.00 from MAC

Again I have sung the praises of this teeny little palette in previous posts (read them here, here & here) so I'll let you read those rather than bang on about it here. It's an excellent little palette for travelling because it is really tiny but has nine shadows in there, that really pack a punch in the pigment stakes, and is super versatile. I am obsessed with it and have been using it pretty much constantly. I love it so much.

The Wet Brush - £8.99 from lookfantastic

I got this in Anna & Lily's Cult Beauty box back in April and it's the only brush I've used on my mad, tangly hair since then, but I've never mentioned it on here, which isn't really like me. Anyway I love it. It has really flexible bristles that glide effortlessly through the hair, detangling any knots without pulling. Now I don't brush my hair everyday, because it's so curly that brushing only makes it frizz out uncontrollably. So I only brush before and after I wash it and that's it. It used to be an absolute nightmare brushing my hair, even with a Tangle Teezer or an Easy Tease (read more about that here), and I hated doing it because it really did hurt. The Wet Brush is so gentle yet effective, it has just solved all my hair brushing problems. I refuse to be without it, that's how much I love it!

Avon Advance Techniques 360 Nourishment Moroccan Argan Oil Leave-in Treatment -  £3.50 (on offer, usually £6.00) from Avon

This stuff is haircare heaven! If I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one hair care product this would be it! It's incredible! One pump, run through the mid lengths and ends, intensely nourishes and protects the hair (from heat, chlorine, etc.), calms frizz and adds definition to curls without weighing them down. It's non-greasy, very light weight and leaves no residue in the hair whatsoever. I used this every day on holiday to protect my hair, and it worked an absolute treat. No sun dried ends and chlorine damage for me! It does come in a glass bottle, which I agree isn't the best for travel, although I didn't have any problems with it. But seriously this stuff is magical! I would be lost without it and I'm not joking. 

La Roche Posay 50+ Antihelios XL Ultra-Light Fluid - £16.50 from Boots

There's nothing really knew in this month's favourites, pretty much all of them have been talked about before, including this one (read more about it here). I'm a recent convert to La Roche Posay's Antihelios XL sunscreen but it is amazing. It absorbs into the skin really quickly without leaving a white cast on the skin and gives my pasty skin the protection I need, from both UVA and UVB rays. And unlike a lot of sunscreens it's non-comedogenic, so it doesn't block the pores or cause break outs, which my skin will do at the slightest provocation. It's awesome stuff. 

Rimmel Kate Sculpting Palette in 002 Coral Glow - £6.99 from Boots

This is kind of a forgotten favourite because I have used it so much in the last couple of months but keep forgetting to put it in my favourites. I actually have this in both shades, 002 Coral Glow and 003 Golden Bronze, and I like and use both a lot, but I have used Coral Glow more this month because I took it on holiday with me (read more about that here). It's such a handy little palette as it comes with a blush, contour and highlight and, despite the fairly naff packaging, it is really, really good quality. The powders are creamy and smooth, they apply beautifully and they have really nice pigmentation. They're really lovely. 

Becca Backlight Priming Filter - £32 from SpaceNK

Again this is something I have talked about recently, (read it here) I feel like I'm a broken record today, just saying the same thing over and over again... I'm sorry. I have used this so much in the past couple of weeks, in fact I've nearly used it all up and will have to get a new one soon. It adds such a beautiful, beautiful radiance to the skin. I have fairly dull, pale skin but this gives me a glow that would put JLo to shame. It is stunning! And expensive, but worth it. 

Walk Off The Earth - watch them on youtube here

My bad ass friend Charlotte, who is actually teaching me to play guitar and is the coolest person I know,  introduced me to Walk Off The Earth during our first lesson, and I have been listening to them ever since. You may have come across WOTE before as quite a few of their videos have gone viral, they're the band who covered Gotye's Somebody that I Used to Know with all 5 members playing the same guitar! (Watch it here it's amazing!) Their videos are insane, they are so talented and so, so clever. I've downloaded a load of their songs but Gang of Rhythm and Hold On (The Break) are my favourites. I am also obsessed with their cover of Cheerleader! Watch some of their videos, you will not be sorry.

Working Out 

So this is a surprising favourite for all of us, especially me, but I am really, really enjoying working out. I've been working out everyday during the week and the sense of achievement it gives me is incredible. Do I still hate cardio? Absolutely, yes I do! BUT I can do it, which is amazing because up until recently I definitely couldn't. I'm feeling very proud of myself for that.

What are your August Favourites? Let me know by commenting below, on twitter, or dropping me an email at lolarocknroses@gmail.com. Also check out my instagramfacebookbloglovin', snapchat -search lolarocknroses - & pinterest for regular updates.

Love love love xxx

2 comments:

  1. Ooo I might have to invest in the wet brush! My hair is crazy curly hair too so I feel your pain :) Have a great September xo

    www.studentpaperie.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really good brush, especially for curly hair ;)

      Thanks for reading, you too xx

      Delete

Latest pins