Thursday 23 April 2015

Lola Loves... Reading

I was talking with my best friend last night, setting the world to rights and all that, when the conversation turned to reading and how much we both love it. As an MA English Student I do A LOT of reading. I'd say I spend about 90% of my time with a book/kindle (/kindle app on my phone/iPad) in my hand and even though most of the time I'm reading something I really don't want to be I always try find time to read for the sake of reading. So with that in mind, and it being World Book Day and all, I thought I'd share with you lot the books I've been reading and loving lately.

Looking For Alaska by John Green


I'm reading this at the moment and I'm really enjoying it. I'm slowly working my way through everything John Green's ever written (because I like super love him) and whilst LFA isn't my favourite - it's a tie between The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns - it's a good story that's both funny and sad and a really good read. Miles 'Pudge' moves to Culver Creek Boarding School in Alabama in search of 'A Great Perhaps.' Which turns up in the form of Alaska Young. Alaska is beautiful and exciting but deeply troubled. As Miles falls in love with her he struggles to reconcile the Alaska he loves with her angrier, bitchier side. It's very similar to Paper Towns (read my review here) in that it addresses how we idealise people, and loving the idea of a person is not the same as loving them. If you haven't checked it out I would definitely recommend it.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han



I read this just after Christmas and then read it again a few weeks later because I enjoyed it that much. To All The Boys I've Loved Before is about Lara Jean, a young Korean girl, who has been in love with her neighbour and best friend Josh forever. There's just one catch he's her older sister Margot's boyfriend. To get over Josh, and all the guys she loved before, she writes them a letter that she never intends to send. When these letters accidentally get sent out all hell breaks lose for Lara Jean and to save face in front of Josh she pretends one of her classmates is her boyfriend and things get... complicated. I really enjoyed it, it's funny and sweet and oh so teenage but awesome. Fans of New Girl will love it.

Sweet Temptation by Lucy Diamond


This is chick-lit at it's very finest. Sweet Temptation is about three overweight women Maddie, Lauren and Jess who meet at a weight-loss group and follows their lives as they struggle to lose weight (#thestruggleisreal) It sounds pretty naff I know but it is a really good, easy read. I found myself getting sucked into the story and actually caring about the characters. I really enjoyed it, it's a perfect Beach Read.

What are the books you're loving at the moment? Let me know on twitter - use the hashtag #LolaLoves, by commenting below or dropping me an email to lolarocknroses@gmail.com. Also check me out instagram, facebook, bloglovin & pinterest. That's me for this evening but I'll be back Sunday. Until then have yourselves a lovely week. 

Love love love xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins