Monday 7 July 2014

How I Cope

Sorry for the ominous sounding title. Once again I would like to apologise for the really late blogging of last week, I'd like to say that it won't happen again but it probably will. Without going into detail my family and I are going through a really difficult time at the moment. Sometimes late posts will be unavoidable as Rock & Roses will have to take a backseat for a while. Having said that I will try my very hardest to keep on top of things if for no other reason than writing Rock & Roses keeps me sane! Anyway I thought I would share with you some of the things that have been helping me cope lately. Silly or cliche they may be but my gosh they're lifesavers.


1. Winnie the Pooh

(Picture courtesy of Hellogiggles.com, is it not the most adorable GIF you've ever seen?!)

Yes I am aware that it is utterly ridiculous for a 23 year old to watch, and enjoy, Winnie the Pooh without even having the excuse of a child. In fact it may even err a little on the creepy side, but hear me out. There is something so completely comforting in childhood. It's not just Winnie the Pooh any Disney film does the trick really. Having said that I chose Winnie the Pooh because I was absolutely obsessed with Pooh Bear when I was a little 'un. Winnie the Pooh is very wise and very cute. And sometimes when times are tough I just need the comfort of the familiar. Regardless of how childish.

2. Knitting

(Picture from www.telegraph.co.uk)

In the blink of an eye I have gone from being a tiny child to an elderly woman! I doubt I'll ever act my age. I know it is such an old lady habit but God I love knitting. I used to knit all the time but now I only knit when life is a bit shitty. There is something so soothing about twisting and pulling the wool to make stitches. I think it's the fact that you really have to concentrate on the task at hand that you can't really think about anything else. Personally nothing quiets a frantic mind more than knitting.

3. Screaming into a pillow


(Picture from gifs-to-wear-pants-to.tumblr.com)

Pretty self-explanatory, although does raise some awkward questions if the neighbours hear you.

4. Meditating

(Picture from www.equalityokc.org)

I'm not some new age hippy chick. I just find meditating really useful. All I do is lie down on my bed, put some really calming music on and just zone out for a while. Half the time I end up falling asleep but when I wake up I have a much better outlook on life.

5.Putting on loud music and dancing around like a loon




Okay this one seems a little ridiculous but seriously it works. When I'm in a rage, and I mean really furious, nothing calms me more than blasting ACDC's You Shook Me All Night Long at top volume, jumping around like a lunatic and getting all out of breath and sweaty.

6. Sleep

(Picture from evidencemag.com)

I love sleep, but when I'm sad or stressed I tend to do one of two things: 1. I stop sleeping completely or 2. I sleep all the time. I had a really bad day on Sunday (don't ask) and all I did was sleep, watch House and write (which brings me to number 7), by the end of the day I felt so much better. Being sad and angry is exhausting is it not?

7. Write

(Picture from themagpiesfancy.blogspot.com)

I love writing, I could, and do, write about anything and everything. It doesn't matter if it's a blog post, a short story, a diary entry, a letter or even a to do list. I just write. I love to chronicle everything that happens in my day to day life. My Grandma was the same. The biggest problem I'm facing at the moment is anger. I'm angry, I won't tell you the reasons why, but I am so incredibly angry that it frightens me a little. It's scary that I could hold that much anger inside. I'm like The Incredible Hulk except not as green, or violent, or a man. (I hope I haven't scared you off with this!) There is something so cathartic about putting these negative emotions down on a page and feel the burden get a little lighter. If I'm angry at a particular person I will write them a letter, I don't send it or anything, but it makes me feel better to at least feel like I've had my say.

8. Cuddle a dog



Dogs are easily my favourite animal. They are so understanding and non-judgmental and give the best cuddles. It is impossible to be sad or angry with a dog on you.

9. Surf Youtube for silly videos



 Youtube is amazing. Many an hour has  been spent surfing Youtube for anything that will make me laugh. I think the thing I love most about Youtube is the fact that it is completely insane (see below) I mean the wrong click at the wrong time and things can get pretty weird. But I love it. I love searching for random, funny stuff. I particularly love videos from The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. I have talked of my love for the hilarious and ridiculous Mr. Fallon before (read it here) and it all still applies. He’s brilliant. I also love watching old Live at the Apollo videos, Conan O’Brien’s channel and British Comedy from the late 80's and early 90's. The list is endless. These are just some of my funny Youtube finds:

You. Are. Welcome! 

I do apologise if any of these things  seem a little ridiculous or even downright strange, it's probably because they are! Particularly Winnie the Pooh ;), and some of them may not work for you but they work me so I thought I would share them with you. Other coping mechanisms include eating more Ben & Jerry's ice cream than advisable, ranting to a friend, ranting to the internet (guilty, I've totally done that), having a passive agressive Pinterest session. And by that I mean pinning loads of pictures depicting your intense levels of emotion and captioning them with the word 'True!' I could go on and on. 

So what do you think? Agree? Disagree? Would love to hear what you lot get up to, to help you cope when things are a bit rough.

Hopefully I will be back tomorrow with an extra post this week, a review of the movie The Fault In Our Stars, if things go to plan that is but if not I will definitely be back on Wednesday with 2 Stars & A Wish #6. Until then check out my twitter, facebook, Bloglovin, instagram & pinterest for your daily dose of Lolarocknroses ;)

Love love love xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins