Wednesday 16 October 2019

Autumn Bucket List



In my previous post I waxed lyrical about my love of autumn. And all of it was true I absolutely adore the season, it's my favourite. My only gripe with it is that it isn’t long enough. We’re not really allowed to enjoy autumn for too long before Christmas is thrust upon us long before we’re ready to embrace it. But I am determined to squeeze everything I can from this autumn before the Coca-Cola Christmas ad hits our screens and all the beauty advent calendar content starts. So here are all the things on my autumn wish list.


Drink hot chocolate with marshmallows

Now, I’ll be honest with you, I’ve done this one already. Many times. And we’re only halfway through October! Hot chocolate is my very favourite autumnal rite of passage. To me it’s the true signifier of autumn. Once the craving for a Costa skinny caramel hot chocolate, yes please with marshmallows, kicks in then you can guarantee that the leaves will have started to change and the weather will have turned to what I call hot chocolate weather. Hot chocolate weather, where there’s a nip in the air and it’s cold enough to justify a hot chocolate while still being quite sunny, is my favourite weather. It’s when I’m at my happiest. Plus there's something so nostalgic and comforting about a steaming mug of hot chocolate. It’s just pure joy.

Read a thriller

There is nothing I love more than curling up with a good book. Nothing. And if I have a hot chocolate while I’m doing it so much the better. But there is something truly magical about wrapping yourself up in a blanket, when rain is pounding against the window, and reading something suitably terrifying and atmospheric. 

I know I’ve told this story before and I’ll probably tell it again but when I finished my English Lit degree I found it really hard to read so I didn’t read for a really, really long time. It was actually reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, followed immediately by The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins that got me back into reading. Now I read all the time - I’m currently reading the Oh my God, What a Complete Aisling books and they’re great - and it’s an important part of my self-care. If I’m not reading then it’s a sure fire sign that things aren’t great. Anyway, I’ve gone off topic... there is nothing more joyful than a trashy thriller. And with Halloween just around the corner, the idea of reading something scary becomes so much more palatable. To paraphrase The Nightmare Before Christmas life’s no fun without a good scare...y book. 

Bake

Baking is one of my absolute favourite pass times, especially in the autumn. I blame this entirely on the Great British Bake Off. Once Bake Off is back on our screens I have an almost overwhelming desire to get back in the kitchen and bake. I’ve spoken before about my intense dislike of cooking, I’m getting better but still nah, but baking is a different kettle of fish entirely. Baking is science. Delicious science. I know what I’m doing when it comes to baking. I’m less scared of it. For me cooking is beyond stressful but baking... baking is soothing. Plus I’m quite good at it too. Not Bake Off good, I will never be the type of girl who can build things out of biscuits or makes her own fondant, but I make excellent sausage rolls and pretty decent chocolate brownies too.

Go to a fireworks display

In the UK Bonfire Night - or Guy Fawkes Night or as I’ve always known it Firework Night -  marks the end of autumn and the beginning of winter. It’s not official or anything, just for me personally. Like the 4th July, we have fireworks and hot dogs, but we also have bonfires, a quite frankly terrifying tradition of burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes and jacket potatoes as well. It is one of my favourite celebrations. I love fireworks and it means I can start getting excited about Christmas. Having said that, I haven’t been to a firework display in years, I can’t even remember the last time I went to one. But I really want to this year.

What’s on your autumn bucket list? 

L xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins