Wednesday 30 October 2019

The Best Skincare for When You Have a Cold



Guys as I write this I’m laid up in bed with a 38°C temperature and the worst cold I’ve ever had, complete with the kind of hacking cough that makes me sound like I’m about to die of consumption on the streets of Victorian London. I know, I'm being overdramatic, but I do feel awful. And what’s really not helping is that I look it too. Both my skin and hair are drier than the desert, my nose and lips are chapped and I have a very pleasant outbreak of spots around my jaw. Sexy thy name is Lauren! Luckily, there is a handful of products that I come back to time after time that are total lifesavers. Here’s my pick of the best skincare for when you’ve got a cold.


If you’ve been hanging round for a while you will know I absolutely ADORE this stuff, I’ve talked about it a lot (read more here). If you’re new to these parts then prepare to find your new favourite skincare product. Yes friends, it is that good. An intensely hydrating balm, originally designed to treat irritated or chemically-treated skin, Cicaplast has recently undergone a reformulation and now, instead of a non-sticky gel, it boasts a light cream texture that absorbs quickly into the skin. It contains 5% panthenol - essentially vitamin b5 - to aid the skin's reparation systems and soothe sore and broken skin, while an antibacterial complex prevents infection. Even in its reformulated state its really good for chapped lips and noses and I have been using it constantly to keep my lips and nose in tip top condition.


Be warned kids, this is not for the faint hearted. It stings like an absolute bitch when you apply it, BUT it is worth it for the smooth, silky complexion it leaves in its wake. Essentially an exfoliating facial in a bottle, The Ordinary AHA 30% BHA 2% Peeling Solution is formulated with Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Beta Hydroxy Acids that eat dead skin cells leaving you with smoother, brighter skin.

It's also blood red and makes you look like the skull face dude from Captain America. Not Skeletor, the other one. Anyway, like I said it does sting and it is particularly sting-y when used on chapped skin. I'll be honest, I don't know if it's the best idea to use this on broken skin, but I personally hate it more when my lips and nose are so chapped from having a cold that my skin goes all flaky, so I prefer to put up with the sting. Plus, the results are more than worth it. 


My lips get super dry when I'm ill, even more so than usual, and this is the only balm that gets them back to normal. Designed to moisturise, soothe and relieve dry lips, Carmex Original does exactly what is says on the tin. It just works. It's a classic for a reason, guys. 


Okay, so this is spendy as hell. £120 for a mask is a lot of money, and if you have that kind of money all power to you, I personally do not, I was gifted this mask. Having said that, it does work wonders on dry skin. Part of Elemis' Ultra Smart range - which also includes two delicious eye creams! - the Pro-Collagen Aqua Infusion Mask is designed to hydrate and revitalise dry and tired-looking skin. It is formulated with three exclusive complexes that prevent water loss, seal in moisture and maintain optimum moisture levels. It smells delicious and has a beautiful gel-like texture that glides onto the skin and absorbs almost instantly, leaving the skin nourished and soft. It has been a God send for my parched chops. However, it is very expensive and there will be products on the high street that do a similar job for a fraction of the price, we'll just have to find them. 


A total princess product, Caudalie's Eau De Beauté, also known as Beauty Elixir, is not necessary in any skincare routine. However it's lovely and refreshing and it smells gorgeous. Traditionally more of a setting spray, Eau De Beauté is formulated with 100% natural ingredients including: green grape extract and peppermint and rose essential oils, and can also be used to tone and rehydrate the skin. Personally, I've been spraying it on my face to cool myself down and try to reduce my temperature. It's not a medically approved method but it seems to be helping, if only psychosomatically.

What are you're favourite products to pick you back up when you're not feeling you're best? 

L xxx


*Disclaimer* Products denoted with a '*' have been gifted. I was NOT paid to write about them and under no obligation to do so. All views and opinions are my own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins