Thursday 29 January 2015

2014 Non Beauty Favourites, Part 2: Films & TV

It is no secret that I'm a major nerd when it comes to Films & TV, these were my faves from 2014. 



My love of comic book movies is widely documented, but GotG might actually be my favourite. It has everything. It's action packed, so funny with some really heartwarming moments, a kickass soundtrack and Groot, need I say anymore?



After reading the book repeatedly I was just as in love with the film when it came out. It made me laugh, it made me cry, stayed true to the book - which I think is incredibly important when it comes to movie adaptations - and was a seriously good film. I loved it. I've also recently discovered the youtube channel John Green has with his brother Hank and have watched all his vlogs about TFIOS and love it even more now, because John Green (and Hank) is way more awesome than I  originally thought. 

This is the rare occasion where I actually preferred the film to the book. Not Another Happy Ending is a Scottish romantic comedy starring Karen Gillan - insert heart eyed emoji - as author Jane Lockhart who is struggling to finish her second book and her devious -but extremely handsome- publisher Tom Duval, played by Stanley Weber, who realises that Jane can only write when she's unhappy so sets out to make her miserable. I reviewed it when I first saw it last year so I won't bang on about it too much. It's funny, sweet and thoroughly underrated with some excellent vintage fashion, a gorgeous french man and a pretty decent soundtrack. It's on Netflix and well worth a watch if you haven't seen it. 

Celeste & Jesse Forever

This film is amazing, seriouslyseriously amazing. Celeste and Jesse Forever is a loved story, and by that I mean it's about a couple, the titular Celeste and Jesse, who after a happy marriage are going through a divorce. But here's the twist they still spend every day together, say 'I love you' and act like a couple. It's only when Jesse meets someone else and starts to move on that Celeste, who initiated the divorce, starts to fall apart. It's really funny but bittersweet because you spend the whole film wishing they would just sort it out and get back together. If you liked 500 Days of Summer you will love this. 

22 Jump Street 


22 Jump Street is hilarious! I think it might actually be better than the first one, and I don't say that lightly because I loved 21 Jump Street. My favourite bit is when Jenko & Schmidt are in the library and Jenko is talking to the bad guys about gay stereotypes and prejudice.  It's so funny. I just love it. 

Frozen



I feel like this one really doesn't need explaining. Everyone loves Frozen. 



I came across Scandal after a long night of youtube surfing and was immediately hooked. It is amazing. Well written, well acted and so gripping it is actually impossible to watch just a single episode. Scandal is my absolute favourite tv show. 

How to Get Away with Murder


Written by the undisputed Queen of  TV (and the woman responsible for Scandal) Shonda Rimes. How to Get Away with Murder, in my humble opinion, is television at it's finest. This show has been keeping me up at nights, although I probably would have been up anyway. But seriously the show is amazing, it's very nuanced with really clever plot twists that constantly keep you guessing. It's gripping. Plus Viola Davis is Queen of Everything. If you haven't watched it already I strongly recommend it. 



I got into House in the summer and quickly became obsessed with the curmudgeonly but brilliant Dr Gregory House. He's so rude, it's hilarious. The show is really clever and well written, though it did start to become a tad formulaic towards the end, even so it's still great tv and stars Hugh Laurie who I absolutely adore. Love it. 

Broadchurch



Broadchurch might be my favourite tv discovery of last year. It is incredible. Broadchurch is so cleverly written that never at any point did I have any inkling of who the killer was. I had no idea. Not only is the story great but it is brilliantly acted, I'd expect nothing less from David Tennant but Olivia Coleman is the true star of the show. She's amazing. I'm obsessing over season 2 at the moment and so far it's just as good as season 1. Who'd have thought I'd look forward to Mondays?!

Parks & Recreation


Parks and Rec is one of my absolute favourite tv shows. It is hysterically funny and stars five of my favourite people: Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Chris Pratt, Nick Offerman and Aubrey Plaza. I super love it and I'm so sad that this season is the last one. 

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia



For those who don't know It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a comedy about 5 really awful people.  I'm serious they are terrible people. But they are so funny. My old housemate introduced It's Always Sunny to me about a year ago and I liked it but didn't really get into it at the time but then I found it on Netflix and just loved it. It's so funny. 

The Mindy Project 


I have talked about my love of The Mindy Project more times than I can count, to the point where I was debating whether or not to include it but of course I had to. I am obsessed with The Mindy Project and just Mindy in general.  I love it ridiculous amounts. 

New Girl



Another old favourite that had to be included, I recently re-watched New Girl from the beginning and remembered just how funny it is. I love it.
The Office (US)




My best friend introduced me to The Office earlier in the year and it has become a firm favourite. The writing is hilarious -Thank you Mindy!-, the casting is marvellous -and brought the beautiful and funny John Krasinski to my attention-  and I actually prefer it to the original. 

What were your favorite films and tv shows from 2014? Let me know on twitter, by commenting below or dropping me an email at lolarocknroses@gmail.com. Also check out my instagram, facebook, Bloglovin and pinterest

I've had a lot of uni work in the past two weeks so I'll be playing catch up over the weekend, so be sure to check back soon. 

Until then...

Love love love xxx

Images Via, Via, Via, Via, Via, Via, Via, Via, Via, Via, ViaVia, Via, Via, Via






No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins