Monday 30 June 2014

Hopeless Romantic#3: My Favourite Book Couples

I hope everyone has had a good start to the week and that today hasn't been too tortuous. Like Garfield (and the rest of the world) I hate Mondays. 


(Picture courtesy of wifflegif.com)

But it's nearly over now and we are one day closer to the weekend. Now continuing along this romantic path I have set out for myself over the past couple of Mondays with my Hopeless Romantic series I thought I would list my favourite couples from books. Being something of a book worm the list is incredibly long and detailed so I'll try to keep it short and sweet but I make no promises.

1. Spencer O'Malley & Lily Quinn - The Girl in Times Square by Paullina Simons

(Picture from www.goodreads.com)


First of all you should know that I am obsessed with this book and I have been since I was 15. If you haven't read this book I strongly recommend you do. Now. And then come back and read this post. I'll wait. No? Okay I'll give you a quick rundown so you understand why I love this couple so much. Lily's best friend and roommate Amy goes missing and Spencer is the Detective in charge of the case. Overtime, and with still no sign of Amy, Spencer and Lily fall in love. But Spencer has a secret that he has spent his entire life trying to hide and Lily is faced with 2 extreme pieces of luck, one good, one bad. Spencer and Lily are a couple who defy the odds. Even when the chips are stacked against them, and the chips are always stacked against them fyi, you never stop rooting for them! And it's for this reason, and so many others, that I love them!

2. Ron & Hermione - The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling


 
(Picture from thinkprogress.org)

I respectfully disagree with what J.K Rowling said about regretting putting Ron and Hermione together.  These two were clearly meant for each other. I recently re-read the series - I don't know if any of you know this but my dissertation was on Harry Potter - and the idea of Hermione and Harry together made me feel slightly sick. Ron and Hermione however, they just fit. Yes they argue and probably have one of the most volatile relationships in fantasy fiction but they love each other. And that's awesome. 

3. Reena & Sawyer - How to Love by Katy Cotugno


(Picture from www.goodreads.com)

I wrote about my insane, crazy love for Katie Cotugno's How to Love in last week's Friday I'm in Love, and one of the reasons I love this book -despite it being really well written and amazing) is the incredibly complex relationship between Reena and Sawyer. Reena has been in love with Sawyer for as long as she can remember, and for as long as she can remember he's never noticed her. Until the day he does. Then of course it becomes very complicated and messy in the way that only teenage love can and Sawyer disappears, leaving Reena devastated and pregnant. 2 years later and Reena has almost moved on from Sawyer when he returns. Their story alternates between before and after. Before being their relationship leading up to Reena's abandonment and After being Reena's reaction to Sawyer's return. Reena is such an icy bitch towards Sawyer when he first returns, with good reason, I love it. The thing I probably like most about this couple is the fact that even though Reena hates Sawyer for leaving, deep down you know (and she knows) that she loves him and Sawyer makes no secret that he still loves her. 

4. Mia & Adam - If I Stay by Gayle Foreman



(Picture from www.pagetopremiere.com)

Oh *sigh* Mia and Adam, such an amazing, tragic couple. I only read If I Stay by Gayle Foreman a couple of weeks ago and already this couple has made it's way into my list of favourite couples, because it is that good. Their story is so sad, and not to give anything away but when Mia is deciding whether she should live or die Adam is the only person whose feelings she takes into account. I love their story and I love them. Such an amazing couple.

5. Peeta & Katniss - The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins. 


(Picture from missdreamymarie.wordpress.com)

Full disclaimer I have never been a Gale fan, when it comes to The Hunger Games I have always been, and will always be Team Peeta. He loves her completely and selflessly, even to the point where he willingly sacrifices himself time and time again for her happiness. It angers me that it takes Katniss such a long time to realise that she loves him too, she knows that she can't live without Peeta but she's not sure why and it takes her such a long time to recognise that it's because she loves him. I ship Peeta and Katniss so hard it's kind of insane. I seriously ship Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson too (I know, I know I'm meant to be talking about the books not the films), I know they're not together but I so wish they were. 

6. Scarlett O'Hara & Rhett Butler - Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

(Picture from www.fanpop.com)

I have been umming and ahhing about whether or not to include this undoubtedly iconic and timeless couple, due to a rape scene, but having changed my mind again and again I decided that I didn't really have a choice, they had to be included (I'm not sure if this makes me a bad person or not :S). I think the reason they are such an iconic couple is because they are both horrible people and the love they have for each other is their only redeeming quality. Cathy and Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) are the another such a couple. Scarlett herself is scheming, manipulative and obsessed with money. Rhett is no better and I think that's why they work as a couple. It takes Scarlett the entire book to realise Rhett is her equal and she loves him instead of Ashley Wilkes but by then Rhett has had enough. It's so sad. 

7. Bridget Jones & Mark Darcy - Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding.


(Picture from www.dailymail.co.uk...ergh typing that made me feel dirty!) 

He loves her. Just as she is. Enough said. 

So what do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Are there any really obvious ones that I missed? Let me know using the hashtag #HopelessRomantic. 

Other favourites include Elizabeth Bennett and Mr Darcy from Pride & Prejudice, Hazel & Gus from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, Dexter & Remy from This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen, Landon & Jamie from A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks, Noah & Allie from The Notebook (obvs) also by Nicholas Sparks, Sage & Leo from The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult, Ian & Mariah from Keeping Faith again by Jodi Picoult... the list goes on and on. It's endless. 

Right lovely people I'm off to sleep but I will be back on Wednesday with 2 Stars & A Wish #5. But until then check me out on twitter, facebook, BlogLovin, instagram & pinterest for your daily fix of make up, books, cake and silliness :)

Love love love xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins