Monday 16 June 2014

Hopeless Romantic: The Dangers of the Romantic Comedy...

I hope everyone has had a fabulous weekend and is having a good week so far. Now I have to confess to something. I am a hopeless romantic. And I mean utterly hopeless. It has to be said that I do love a good RomCom. I also love romance novels, - the Nicholas Sparks kind not the 50 Shades of Grey scary, domineering sex kind. I'm a romantic not a pervert! - love songs and sitcoms where there is a will they? won't they? On-again-off-again love story (which by the way is every sitcom EVER!).




Now there is nothing wrong with this in particular but I think personally my love for all things romance may not be a good thing and here's why:

Life isn't a film. Or a romance novel. Or a sitcom. Or a love song. You'd think I would have learnt this before I reached the age of *cough, splutter* 23 but alas! I have not. I have yet to learn that I am not the geeky girl who hides behind her glasses and book only to find out that beneath my bookishness, gasp, I was beautiful all along. I am just the geeky girl who reads a lot and that's fine. When I fall down in life (which frequently happens) it's embarrassing not super cute! Nor is it a precursor for a meet cute, usually it means someone is laughing at me. Sadly I do not have the hair, face or body of Jennifer Lawrence. And nowhere is there a rugged, manly, Ryan Gosling-esque figure wanting to kiss me silly in the rain. 



So rarely does this happen in my day to day life!

Now there's nothing wrong with my life, sometimes it can be pretty damn awesome, but there is something - or should I say someone - missing. I am of course talking about my perpetual state of singleness. I have been single for 3 years and it's getting to the point where I've had enough now (ironically in my last relationship I couldn't wait to be single.) The problem hasn't been a lack of options but rather my ridiculously high expectations. I expect magic and when the poor boy competing for my affections doesn't meet my ridiculously high expectations that's when things go wrong,  I start to hate him and then myself and it's all a big mess. It's fair to say that I'm not very good at this relationshippy stuff. 

After a long, searching conversation with a friend we both came to the conclusion that RomComs have warped my perception of life and love which maybe is part of the reason that I'm still single (I've made myself sound totally desperate and crazy. I know.) Anyway the moral of the story is that I watch too many romcoms. However instead of taking them at face value and treating them as the escapism/entertainment that they are I treat them as guidelines for life. Which is crazy and stupid, but also kinda fun. It's nice to live in a world where crazy, stupid love (like what I did there?) happens to the dorky girl. Yes I may have taken it a bit seriously, and yes it's not exactly normal to have a soundtrack to your life based on romantic, lovey dovey/heartbreaking songs. But I reiterate it's fun! And stupid. And really nice to always believe in happy endings, even when they seem so far away. 


So for now I may be a Bridget Jones type character in the RomCom of my life BUT even she found Mark Darcy in the end. I'm just waiting for mine. 

SWOON!

Until next time lovely people check me out on twitter, facebook, BlogLovin, instagram & pinterest

Love love love xxxx

Images Via, Via, Via, Via 

*Disclaimer* I own none of the images featured. Images used for entertainment purposes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins