Tuesday 22 September 2015

How to Survive Freshers Week!












I thought, somewhat fittingly now that I've finally finished, that I should definitely talk to you guys about uni. Specifically how to survive freshers week for those of you heading to university for the first time and are feeling a little nervous... believe me I've been there. So here are some of my pearls of wisdom for all you lovelies who have started/are starting uni.

Take A LOT of pictures but more importantly BE in a lot of pictures

I was the chief photographer in my group of friends so there are tons of pictures from my time at uni. There's just one small problem I'm not in a lot of them. Seriously only 2 pictures exist of me and my bestest uni friends all together and 1 of them would be lovely if it wasn't for another friend standing right in front of me, effectively blocking me out of the picture (fail!) and the other one is really, really blurry (epic fail!). 



Looking back now I really regret that I'm not in more pictures so take and be in as many pictures as you can. You won't regret it. 

Be brave, and also friendly

It's okay to be nervous, everyone is! But be brave and introduce yourself to people and branch out, you're not necessarily gonna be besties with the people you live with in halls. I certainly wasn't, the people I was closest to actually lived in the block next door and I was constantly in and out. Also get to know people on your course. I was on the same course as two people from the block next door and we just kinda stuck together, we didn't really get to know the other people until our second year and it was such a shame because there were some really lovely people doing the same course.

Make it feel like home

If this means taking your teddy bear(s) with you then DO IT! (I clearly did!) If it means stringing up fairy light and blutacking photos to the walls DO IT! If it means only wearing pyjamas for the year you're there (this is pretty much what I did) then DO IT! You're in halls for a year, and paying a lot to be there, make it yours. Just make sure you clear up for room inspections. Speaking of ALWAYS tidy up after yourself, especially in communal areas. Nothing starts a fight quicker than people just leaving their washing up around for everyone else to deal with. Don't be that person. That person sucks!

Keep a note of everything

Uni is where most people are living on their own for the first time and it is so much fun BUT one of the annoying things about living by yourself is dealing with the landlord, even after you've moved out. Me and my flatmates lost quite a lot of our deposit on our flat because we didn't make a note of any problems in the property. Write down everything and keep track of dates, how, who, what, why, when, where etc. Don't end up losing money because of something that isn't your fault. 

Emotionally prepare yourself for early morning fire alarms! And fire alarms in general

They are the actual worst. At my uni they tested the fire alarms in halls at 7:00am on a Tuesday morning, our Student Nights were Mondays and Wednesdays and I'm sure they did this on purpose. The worst fire drill was when the Student Union arranged a night out at Oceana in Milton Keynes and our entire campus went. We didn't get back until 4 in the morning and the facilities team arranged a fire drill for 6:15am... it was horrific! And we weren't allowed to go back to bed until 7:00... that was not a good day. Also when you're living in halls a lot of people are cooking for themselves for the first time and fire alarms happen A LOT. Be prepared, it's not fun but it happens. 

Try new things even if it's something completely different

One thing I really regret is not getting more involved in the social side. Don't get me wrong I went out a lot but I wish I'd joined in with more of the societies and stuff. My uni was a sports uni, and being the least sporty person ever and incredibly clumsy as well,  I didn't get involved with anything and I do feel like I really missed out because of it. So definitely try something new, it might surprise you how much you enjoy it. 

Go to everything 

I was really lucky when I started uni because it was the last year before the fees were raised, I'm ashamed to say I've skipped a lecture or two in my time. But just remember you're paying hundreds of pounds an hour for the privilege so you might as well make the most of it, even if it means turning up to a lecture hungover (guilty!

Prepare 

Okay so this one sounds really boring but I can tell you from experience that there is actually nothing worse than having to blag it through a seminar because you haven't done the reading. It is the most awkward thing ever, you know you haven't done the reading, the lecturer knows you haven't and it is so uncomfortable. It is so much better to just get the reading done as soon as you can and be able to talk about it and actually know what you're talking about. It's boring but necessary, get it done and then relaaax! The same applies for assignments, get them done. I've had many an all nighter in the library trying to get an assignment finished and it's a stress filled nightmare. Just do yourself a favour and get it done. 

Always look in the library before buying your course books

In my first year I bought all my course books,  when they were all in the uni library where I could have borrowed them for free. 9 times out of 10 the library will already have a copy so definitely check it out before you part with your cash. 

I have loads more tips for you guys but I feel like I've been waffling on for hours and hours so I'll be quick. Don't feel pressured into doing anything you don't want to. I didn't really drink when I started uni and it was fine. No one cared. I still had the best time and danced like a maniac but with the added bonus that I saved loads of money on nights out. Make a budget and (try) to stick to it. I know I can't talk I'm terrible with money, but if you try to budget then at least you'll know where your money is going and what your doing with it. Stock up on cold medicine and tissues. Freshers flu is inevitable and inescapable, prepare for it. When you're stocking up on medicine also stock up on stuff like toilet roll, toothpaste, washing powder and shower gel before you go to uni, it doesn't go off, and usually parents are more than happy to buy these things for you, leaving you to spend your money on more exciting things... like nights out or in my case make up. Go to your Freshers Fayre, there are always freebies, never underestimate the value of a free pen, and pizza.  But most importantly have fun, enjoy every second because honestly it goes by in a heartbeat. Blink and you'll miss it.

I hope you guys found this helpful. If there's anything I missed let me know in the comments below, on twitter or by dropping me an email at lolarocknroses@gmail.com. Also check out my instagramfacebook, bloglovin', snapchat - search lolarocknroses - & pinterest for updates. 

For anyone starting uni this year GOOD LUCK! And have the best time.

Love love love xxx










No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins