Wednesday 13 November 2019

Winter Haircare Faves


To deliberately misquote Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, winter is here, bringing with it the kind of inclement weather that looks oh so cosy on instagram but in reality is rather cold and unpleasant and can also fuck up your skin and hair.

The constant moving from one extreme to another - coming in to central heating from the bitter cold and vice versa - can really do a number on your hair. Particularly if, like me, you have colour-treated curly hair that tends to frizz and is also very dry, which is super fun. Anywho, here are just some of the products I love, just in general but especially in wintertime, to keep the life in my locks.

The Wet Brush (£11.99)

It's so important to use a good hair brush and the Wet Brush is the best. Seriously, it's the only brush I'll use on my hair. Full stop. I will not use any others. Don't ask me, I won't do it. The Wet Brush is my fave. Designed to improve the overall condition of the hair by minimising snagging and breakage, the brush has 'IntelliFlex' - read strong and flexible - bristles that glide through wet hair without causing any damage. Now, because my hair's really curly I only brush it before and after I wash it, and before I discovered the Wet Brush, I wasn't fully aware of just how much damage I was inflicting on my hair by brushing it wet, now that I know I won't go back. I'm really serious when I say I won't use any other brush I have three full size Wet Brushes and a mini one that I carry around with me. I love them that much. They're even gentle enough to use on extensions and wigs, they're fantastic.


An oldie but a goldie, the John Freida Frizz Ease Extra Strength Six Effects + Serum - despite being a total mouthful to say - is one of my all time favourite hair care products. I've been using it for 8 years now and it never fails to impress. A saviour of curly/frizzy hair everywhere, probably, the serum is a nifty little multi-tasker that is designed to smooth, hydrate and tame wayward hair, as well as eliminate frizz and protect the hair from heat and humidity. It's enriched with silk protein to make hair more manageable and has a light weight, non-sticky, non-greasy texture that absorbs into the hair quickly without making it look greasy. I love it, I don't even want to think about how many bottles of it I've actually used of it, but I love it nonetheless. 


I first mentioned the Garnier Hair Food Masks back in my June/July Favourites video (watch it here) and my love for them has only grown since then, with the Papaya & Amla mask being my particular favourite. A multi-use treatment, the Papaya & Amla mask targets damaged hair (HELLO) and can be used in place of a normal conditioner, as an intensive mask or as a leave-in conditioner. Personally, I like it best as a leave-in conditioner because it tames my mad mane whilst also adding a ton of hydration to my hair and repairing my damaged ends. It has a thick, creamy texture that really nourishes the hair without weighing it down, and is made from  98% natural ingredients, including papaya and alma extracts. It also smells amazing and boasts a formula that is sillicone-free, vegan and 96% biodegradable. So not only is it great, but it won't damage the planet either. Winner! As I say in the video I've tried nearly all of the masks in the collection and I like them all a lot, but this one is my absolute fave.


Again this is something I've been using for years and years and I really like. Not all mousses are created equal, for instance the John Frieda Frizz-Ease Curl Defining Mousse is not good, but this one is great, because it does exactly what it says on the tin. It delivers defined, frizz-free, bouncy curls without any rigidness, crunchiness, crispness or wet-look greasiness. It's fabulous. And so ridiculously affordable. Oh my God. I just love it.

L’Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil (on offer £4.99, usually £9.99)

I don't want to say, again, that I'm a longtime lover of this serum but I am a longtime lover of this serum. And I've said it now. Most of the products mentioned in this post are things that I've been using for a really long time,  because they just work. And this just works. I tend to swap between this one, which is designed specifically for coloured hair (HELLO, me again!), and the original formulation, but both are great.

Described as a '5-in-1 miracle hair perfector', Extraordinary Oil is formulated with plant extracts and has a UV extract filter to protect hair from sun damage, which is very real thing.  Again, it's really lightweight - are you seeing a pattern here? - and has a fast absorbing formula that leaves the hair smooth, soft, shiny and nourished. I absolutely love it, and usually have a mini bottle of it floating around in my handbag for when I need it. 


I am not a hairspray kinda gal. Not at all. However, on the now sadly rare occasions I have my hair straight, I do like to use a hairspray to protect it from the elements and keep it looking smooth and sleek. Enter John Frieda Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier Firm Hairspray, a fast-drying, long-lasting, strong-holding dream of a hairspray. This stuff is wonderful. As the name suggests it creates a humidity barrier that prevents moisture getting to the hair and making it all frizzy and believe me when I say it works. I spent a week in Florida without a hair out of place thanks to this hairspray. It also brushes out, which is super handy, and gives a lot of hold whilst still being quite flexible. It's so good. 

OGX Kukuí Oil Anti-Frizz Hydrating Oil (available in-store at Asda & Tesco)

A relatively new favourite, and apparently not something that is readily available online, the OGX Kukuí Oil is a spray-in oil that promises 'a good hair day everyday'. It's a lightweight (SHOCKER) oil that tames frizz and adds a ton of hydration to parched hair. It contains Kukuí Nut Oil to repel humidity and leave the hair smooth, glossy and frizz free. And boy, does it deliver those things. Despite the fact that it can be a bit of a pain in the arse to get hold of it is worth seeking out, because it's great AND it smells amazing. 


What are your favourite hair care products?

L xxx








No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins