Monday 18 November 2013

Revenge of the Nerds: Reclaiming My Title!

My name is Lauren and I am a nerd! Now when I say that I'm a nerd I don't mean that I spend all day walking around in a t-shirt with the word geek on it claiming to be a geek I actually mean it. I love comic books and knitting and I have always been an enormous and unashamed fan of Harry Potter. I love nothing more than a good book. I am a lover of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost and I adore British Comedy from the late 80's and early 90's. I love The Simpsons and have bone china mugs with Homer Simpsons face on. I ADORE Doctor Who and it is my mission in life to be a companion, preferably to Matt Smith's Doctor but that's not really a possibility anymore. I live and breathe music, I sing non-stop! I love baking and up until recently the highlight of my week was The Great British Bake Off. I also love quoting things that no one else gets and I usually burst out laughing before I reach the punch line of a joke.

None of these things I think make me a geek. What makes me a geek is the fact that I have never ever been ashamed of the fact that I like these things. That is the sign of a true geek unashamed delight and passion.



Simon Pegg said it perfectly...

                                        

I don't know if you've noticed that in the last 2 years or so being a geek has become somewhat mainstream and - not to sound petty- I am not happy about it.
Here's why:

   Throughout school I was known as a geek and I was bullied mercilessly to the point where I didn't want to go. I am not ashamed of that fact at all but what really, really get's my back up is that the people at school who judged me so harshly for all my nerdy hobbies and habits are now walking around claiming to be a geek and as a legitimate geek this pisses me off.

Being a geek is about never apologising for the things you like, and I will not now nor will I ever do that. I love knitting and I enjoy comic book films and I have insane crushes on Tom Hiddleston, Andy Samberg,  Jason Segel, Benedict Cumerbatch and Matt Smith. There are people who judge me for this and that's fine BUT don't you dare judge me whilst wearing a hoodie that tells the world you're a geek when you're not!

Yes my rant is petty and at this point a little bit out of date but I am claiming my title back. True Geek and Proud.

What do you think? Do you agree? Or am I just taking it too personally?

Until next time check me out on twitter, facebook, BlogLovin, instagram & Pinterest :)


Love, love, love xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins