Tuesday 20 December 2016

My Favourite Christmas Films





I so wish that it was socially acceptable for people over the age of 5 to watch Christmas films all year round. Sadly it is not, so I try to make the very most of the few weeks in December when I'm allowed to watch them. After having a look through some old blog posts (read them here and here), it seems that my taste in Christmas films has stayed exactly the same, so I'll try not to bore you too much with the details. 

Home Alone/Home Alone 2: Lost in New York 

I  have something of a love/hate relationship with the OG Home Alone films (let's not even talk about the rest of the franchise because they're awful). I love them because they're amazing, with a scrappy little hero, a ton of LOL moments and an occasional tug on the ol' heartstrings, and they are a Christmas institution. I hate them because Kevin's family, especially his parents, SUCK SO MUCH! And sometimes I just can't get past it. Do they even KNOW that Kevin is their son? Why is he sent to bed in the freaking attic for wanting pizza? And that's BEFORE they leave Kevin, a small child, home alone and go to Paris. And then to add insult to injury in the second film Kevin boards the wrong flight to New York and NO ONE NOTICES! Shouldn't the child they already abandoned once be a priority when travelling, just in case it happens again? Why are social services never involved? Nice parenting skills Mr and Mrs McAllister, you suck so much!!! Now it'd be easy to think after that little tirade, that I don't like the films but I do. I really like them, even though they're about severe child neglect, they're great films. I just straight up hate Kevin's family.

The Grinch

The Grinch is my favourite Christmas film ever! I love it so much that I can quote it word for word and I watch it multiple times every single year. It's amazing. It's so funny, it's heartwarming and Jim Carrey portrays the Grinch as the most relatable character ever. It makes me feel all toasty inside, which is the exact feeling you want to get when you watch a Christmas film.

The Nightmare before Christmas 

Okay so The Nightmare before Christmas is a tricky one because in my opinion it's not a Christmas film. That doesn't stop me watching it at Christmas, although I do tend to watch it more in November than December, I just think of it as more of a Halloween film. Even so it's one of my all time favourite films. Pumpkin King Jack Skellington's well-meaning but disastrous attempt to take over Christmas is delightfully creepy and amazing, the music is wonderful and it's a classic, regardless of whether it's actually a Christmas film or not.

Elf

Does anyone not like Elf? I'd actually be really curious to find out, because I don't think it's possible to not enjoy this film. It's funny, it's sweet, it's super-quotable - 'Buddy the Elf, what's your favourite colour?' - and every time I watch it I find myself singing loud for all to hear, as that is the best way to spread Christmas cheer.

Rent

A musical about heroin addiction and the AIDS epidemic in America at the end of the 80's isn't the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Christmas movies, but Rent is incredible. It's heartwarming and heart breaking and it has a stunning soundtrack. I defy anyone not to sing along to Out Tonight or Another Day.

I have so many favourite Christmas films, The Muppet Christmas CarolEdward Scissorhands and The Santa Clause being three more of my absolute faves, and I could talk about Christmas movies for hours. Hours. Seriously, you don't want to get me started on whether or not Die Hard is a Christmas movie (for the record it categorically is NOT!) Anyway what's your favourite Christmas film(s)? Let me know by commenting below - I always reply so check back -, on twitter, or dropping me an email at lolarocknroses@gmail.com. Also check out my instagramfacebookbloglovin', snapchat -search lolarocknroses - & pinterest for regular updates.


Love love love xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Latest pins